Sunday, July 02, 2017

Finding a less trivial pursuit...

Today I am putting things away from having taught at ESSA all week. I supplied jigs and tools for making a variety of joints for boxes, and those must be returned to their places, and order must be returned to my home shop. There is a relationship between internal order and the external form. My internal processing tends to be impulsive and creative, and my shop falls along the same messy path. But fitting the camera safely into the shop is like having a guest. For writing an article for a magazine (as I begin today), I'll try to attain a less cluttered field of view.

This is the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the iPhone. Now, everywhere we go, eyes are focused on screens both big and small. At dinner in restaurants, couples can avoid eye contact while completely engaged in self-trivialization.

This morning as I stepped between the house and shop, a very tiny brown toad was jumping along the walk. Smaller by far than a copper penny, it's a reminder that not all life is as trivial as what we might pursue on our phones.  I did use my phone to take a photo of it. Being less attentive to real life, I might have stepped on it instead.

Make music, make conversation, make beautiful and useful things. Observe nature and learn from it.

Make, fix, create, and increase the opportunity for others to learn likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment