Sunday, September 06, 2015

each becomes two...

two from one
I've been making boxes to hold business cards, and each assembled unit will be cut apart to become two boxes. I've been adding keys of contrasting wood to strengthen the joints. The boxes will have lids of either maple or walnut, and tomorrow I will start assembling the lids, shaping them with a small router and drilling them for copper hinge pins to fit.

John Grossbohlin noted my comments about scouts, soap, and butter knives and sent a link to the boy scout's wikipage on knives and knife safety.

Not all scout leaders follow the butter knife routine. John notes:
"When I taught the Weblos I had them use real knives and showed them how to carve tent stakes. Tent stakes require all the basic knife techniques... parents were unbelievably afraid for their children’s safety during the class. It occurred to me afterwards that from watching the parents they had no idea how to safely use a knife! I found out that many of the parents were still cutting their children’s food at the dinner table when the kids were 8-10 years old!"
two from one
With new generations arising that have had little or no experience in the use of real world tools, we can expect disproportionate fears of engagement real tools to increase at a rapid rate. Along with that, we can expect the common man to have little or no interest in how things are made, and little or no capacity to make beautiful and useful things.

Today in the wood shop, I will continue making business card boxes, and photographing the process. In the meantime, following the same two from one theme, I've learned that making two tiny bentwood boxes at the same time is also a successful formula. It is easier to get a smooth curvature if two are bent at the same time from one long strip. These will be glued and lids and bases will be made.

Make, fix, create, and help others to do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment