Friday, August 01, 2014

class act

My box making class at Marc Adams School of Woodworking came to a conclusion today with a photo opportunity. These are not all the boxes we made, and a number of them are headed home with my students for more work. The important thing was that each student learned new skills and offered renewed creativity.

We gradually diminish in creativity after leaving Kindergarten, and there should be no surprise that play is an essential part of the creative process.

Otto Salomon had said that the value of the carpenter's work is in the usefulness of the object he or she makes. The value of the student's work is in the student. Each student went home carrying much more than the boxes they made. If any of my students wants a high resolution copy of this image, please email me. I can send.

I had a wonderful week and am now ready for my cabinet making class to commence in the morning.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment