Friday, March 23, 2007

When I was a kid, one of the things I wanted to do in life was to become an inventor. And surprise! I am an inventor of sorts. I make interesting things all the time to make my woodworking easier and more accurate. If you've read any of my books, you've seen a few. I don't make the kind of inventions that I can sell for a lot of money, but I can enable woodworkers to do better work.

Today, I've been making what I call "log cabin jigs" for routing recesses for installing custom designed drawer pulls on a set of cabinets. The "log cabin" jig gets its name from the over-lapping corners through which it is built up log cabin style around an object, and it is my own invention, or at least I've never seen anyone else make or use such a thing. It can be used for hinges or lock sets, or even for router table inserts, but has to be made special for each particular use. Fortunately they can be made in minutes. The image above is of the routed space, the jig, and the plunge router with bit and top mounted guide bearing. The photos below show the making of the jig. I'll show you another day what the finished pull will look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment