Thursday, October 12, 2006


It is interesting that the report below stresses the importance of playing with blocks. At Clear Spring, our first and second grade children not only play with blocks, they make their own in the woodshop. Many of our woodworking projects are inspired by the children's ideas, and when they wanted more blocks, they came to the woodshop and made them. The photo above shows how. As mentioned below, "play with blocks builds the foundation for mathematics, language skills, and spatial development.” Imagine the development that can come from blocks you've made yourself. They learned to measure, mark with squares, cut straight lines. They learned the importance of precision and attention. And they had fun.

I would like to point out that you don't have to be someone as notable as Howard Gardner or Jane Healy to join the Alliance for Childhood's call to action. I did it. It is easy. Go to the Alliance for Childhood website from the links in the post below and at right.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your blog. I found your site through the wikipedia entry on Sloyd. Which I found while looking for information on Puukko knifes. Which I found while looking for information on good axes! Isn't the Internet interesting...

    Anyways, I have two young kids under 5 and I love the idea of them making thier own blocks! What an amazing idea. I have a nice Japanese saw from Lee Valley that I can get the 4 (soon to be five) year old to use.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete